Monday, February 1, 2010

Tom Ford Advertisements




First off, what the hell? I mean really. Tom Ford. It is no secret that the fashion world presents women in a warped and effed up way. But really? Using women as sexual objects to sell products is getting old. Seriously. I am offended that men are socialized to see women in this way. I mean most men, hopefully, see more than just my vagina as cologne. One would hope. The problem is that even though they may not consciously see women as objects- subconsciously, they begin to process these kinds of images in to a "normal" part of advertising. This is dangerous. Women often see themselves as that. They want to attract men. Is wearing Tom Ford sunglasses going to get me a date this weekend?
The interesting thing about the sunglasses advertisement is that there was a caption with it that said, "Yes, I want those sunglasses." Think about it.

1 comment:

  1. Another thing I just noticed about these ads, is how VIOLENT they are! In the second photo, i thought to myself "at least she is biting him..." and then in the third photo, she is grabbing him really hard, and he is like screaming at her! Yikes! (with alcohol in hand!) The violence in these ads might be something to explore.

    ReplyDelete