Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Thoughts on the Tom Ford Advertisements

So yesterday, I was showing some people the Tom Ford advertisements featured on my blog. Ironically, the men, except Dr. Karlberg, laughed. They thought they were funny and just advertisements. I called my father and he said, "that's just the way it is." THIS IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH AMERICA. Images like these should not be normal. Advertisements often use women as supplemental to a product. They do this to men as well- don't get me wrong. But women already have to fight for equal pay and to be taken seriously. Some people will probably just tell me I'm being oversensitive about these ads. I may be sensitive- and your point? There is still a problem that women are being exploited.
Men are exploited yes. But at the end of the day- men have more power. You cannot deny that. Men have the power to choose their positions as that of the "other" or the "gazer." Women, in most cases, do not. Keep in mind that I am talking about the fashion world right now and not all aspects of life.

1 comment:

  1. 1. Everyone DID laugh! Weird! I laughed when you showed me, because I thought it was ridiculous, but that is totally weird how instead of getting really serious and saying "this is wrong" we all laugh. Of course Karlberg didn't laugh; this is why we love him! Karlberg's a badass. I love the sentence "Men have the power to choose their position as that of the "other" OR the "gazer." Women in most cases do not." You should totally use that for your paper!

    ReplyDelete