Friday, February 26, 2010

Old School Ads- how I laugh.


This image makes me laugh- but not for joy. I am offended by the stereotype of the man as the smoker who symbolically is represented as a sexual maniac. Side note- smoking and sex? Why? The woman in this image also offends my sensibilities. She looks like a blow up doll. With her wide eyes, protruding breasts and submissive stance- apparently she will follow you anywhere- so long as you blow in her face.
Now, this image could mean just that- blowing smoke in her face.
OR this could have sexual meaning. If I need to explain the cultural term of blow- then you really need to visit urban dictionary.

Essentially- this advertisement says- "Treat her as an object. She will love you."
In the words of my friend Shelby Scott- "Whaaaat?"

No comments:

Post a Comment