Tuesday, February 2, 2010

"The Purity Myth"


Jessica Valenti wrote a really intriguing book called "The Purity Myth." She writes about how the United States in particular has a monopoly on what it means to be "pure." Purity is a very interesting topic of conversation in the religious world these days. What with purity balls, purity rings, and other purity rites, there is so much hype about what it means to have purity.
I am a all for people living pure lives that they are proud of. But for me, pure doesn't just mean sex; it is so much more. Valenti talks about how purity has become one with the term virgin. If you are not a virgin, you are not pure. Maybe that's true- maybe it's not. Who the hell really knows. What I do know though is that there is this extreme amount of guilt that women carry. Women are supposed to be pure. BUT sexy. And apparently the two aren't socially constructed in the US to go hand in hand. So women face a major identity crisis. Am I pure? Am I sexy?
I do not pretend to have answers. I think when you claim that you are right about something, you ignore arguments from both sides of an issue. I know several people who think the idea of sexual purity is crap. I know others who think it is essential. The point is, you have to listen and know all sides of an argument. I don't agree with everything that Valenti has to say. BUT she has a lot of good points that make you want to critically look at how women are socially constructed to think and act in this country. She makes you think. So I suggest reading it. At best, if you don't agree with her, you will walk away with a better understanding of the oppositions view.

1 comment:

  1. "What I do know though is that there is this extreme amount of guilt that women carry."

    PREACH!

    ReplyDelete