Monday, March 22, 2010

Marc Jacobs Advertising



In the Spring of 2008 Marc Jacobs launched his new ad campaign that featured Victoria Beckham. The creation of this advertisement campaign was used not only in the spring but also for the summer 2008 collection of Marc Jacob fashions. I love Marc Jacobs. I love Victoria Beckham. At present, they are some of the most important fashion icons. What I love about Beckham is her fashion style. It ranges from classic to eccentric. For women who love and adore fashion, these are admirable qualities. You are probably asking... okay Kendall, what's the problem?

And here it is.

You have three choices here. As the audience member of this advertisement, you can either 1) tell me there is nothing wrong, or 2) tell me this is a brilliant and shocking advertisement and that's why it's awesome or 3) tell me that yes, there is a problem that goes deeper than fashion.

So as far as a fashion sense goes- it's a fine advertisement. It's not even that shocking. If you look deeper into how advertising works and how women are often stereotyped, then you will see a problem. This was my first impression of the ad- GREAT SHOES. In fact, I have even tried them on. I loved them. But instead I bought another pair of heels. I have a few fashion savvy friends who find this ad to be funny and genius. I agree it is on a surface level.

Upon closer inspection, I see a few things wrong with this ad. First off, her vagina is a shopping bag. Hmm. You do not see her face. All you see are her legs. Women are often represented as sexually passive and shop-o-holics. Retail therapy and fake orgasms are the pinnacle of the female stereotypes. This advertisement tells me that shopping is the only thing that gets a woman off; specifically, Marc Jacobs. It's kind of insulting. I doubt that Marc Jacobs intent was to tell this to its viewers. This is just the effect. It doesn't matter though. Social issues regarding women are swept under the rug. And if they do see the light of day- they are seen as being too sensitive. God forbid that I am sensitive. Should I apologize that I take offense to a woman being represented as walking shopping bag? Oh wait! I am a woman- that's all I love to do. My sincerest apologies.

My idol, Jean Kilbourne, writes that advertisements tell us that these objects will love us. So who needs human companionship? Marc Jacobs will happily substitute. This advertisement masks female sexuality and objectifies it as consumerism. Once again, this is only my opinion. I welcome your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment