Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Ralph Lauren: Romance



First off, I love Ralph Lauren perfume. In fact, I used to wear Romance all the time. Then I decided I needed a new smell.

This advertisement intrigues me. The man is on his knees, seemingly worshiping the woman. I like it. Normally women are on their knees worshiping males. I am not saying that Ralph Lauren has all woman friendly advertisements. He doesn't. But I do like that this advertisement is a soft representation of love. I feel that most often there is this hard and rough representation of lust that is defined as love. This advertisement is loving, tender, and welcoming. It represents "romance." This is something that is not often seen in media. It represents men and women as something more than typical gender stereotypes.

To top it all off, the clothing is not skankilicious. It is modest. This modesty shows that women don't have to always be oversexualized. This Romance advertisement shows that love can beautiful. Love and lust don't have to be male dominant. Even though the man is on his knees- I don't think of him as being submissive to the woman. I see him as being soft. There is no look of dominance or submissiveness. It's simply- romance. On both parts.

The end. Too uplifting? What can I say, I am attempting to find more positive images.

1 comment: